Re: Thinkpad T22 sound - how to get it back ?

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 23:18:34 +0100, Tim Day wrote:
> My Thinkpad T22's sound used to work fine in Etch, then I started
> tracking Lenny and that was fine too, until the snd-cs46xx.ko module
> went missing when the 2.6.24-1-686 kernel appeared (firmware
> distribution issue; see bug #464197).
> For a while after that the fix was to module-assistant install
> alsa-source, but that now fails to build with the 2.6.25-2 kernel
> (see bug #490710).  And even if the build issue was fixed, the only RC
> bug I can see in this area is #483918 calling for the removal
> of the firmware from alsa-driver too.
>
> What's the most pragmatic solution for mere mortals ?  (I get the
> impression that it's not just as simple as FTP-ing something
> into /lib/firmware yet).

Unfortunately I am not aware of any simple solution. Right now it seems
to me that you have to compile a custom kernel if you want to use these
drivers.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-kernel-details

My preferred approach would be to rebuild the Debian kernel source
package after disabling the patches in debian/patches/dfsg/. This
requires that you know how build customized versions of Debian packages.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-sourcebuild

The patch directory has to be deleted before the "dpkg-buildpackage ..."
step. With the dfsg patches removed it should be possible again to
select cs46xx (and the other removed modules) when you build a new
kernel from the customized kernel source package.

Another possibility is to build your kernel directly from the kernel.org
sources.

Once the alsa-source package works again you can create a customized
alas-source package, again removing the dfsg patches, and then let
module assistant build the alsa modules from that source. This should at
least save you the trouble of compiling the entire kernel.

          Florian   |