Re: how to determine number of displays

Hello,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi list.
>
>  I'm playing with X on my asus M6 notebook, debian Lenny with bits of
>  experimental and unstable to support KDE 4 (though i run E17 995 of the
>  time, just wanted to play with KDE).
>
>  Anyway, i use dual screens at work, and just builtin at home, i was
>  wanting to know if there's somethingi  can poll before X actually fires
>  up to see what displays are attached?
>
>  My goal is to write an init script that wills start before entrance and
>  symlink an appropriate xorg.conf for the number of screens attached to
>  /etc/X11/xorg.conf ...

I use a single /etc/X11/xorg.conf with a modifed Screen Section[1](add
a Virtual line).

then use 'xrandr --output VGA --auto --output LVDS --auto --right-of
VGA' to turn on dual head support.

[1]
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
Integrated Graphics Controller"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"