Fan control breaks networking?

To enable the fan control scrip, I have installed the tp-fancontrol and tp-fancontrol-init.debian scripts to /usr/bin and /etc/init.d/ respectively, and made both scripts executable. I have added "options ibm_acpi experimental=1" to /etc/modules.conf. I added "ibm_acpi" to /etc/modules. When I run "tp-fancontrol -d" as root the fan noticeably speeds up, thus confirming the script is working.

The only problem is that networking--wired or wireless--no longer works. I cannot account for this, as the two would seem to be unrelated. The only other action I have taken ist to install the "sensors-applet" package to monitor the temperature. The package seems to have errors, for while it worked fine initially after installation, two sensors appeared side-by-side in the Gnome panel after a reboot. After removing the package and rebooting networking still does not work.

I ran "iwlist eth0 scan" but am getting the error "Failed to read scan data: Resource temporarily unavailable." I cannot ascertain the chipset but a Google search for my model (ThinkPad T30) suggests that it's a Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01). I would post error messages but they are rather lengthy to type and I do not have networking so cut/paste is not an option.

Is it possible that loading the ibm_acpi module could break my networking? Any ideas?