Re: compiling new kernel

macdowell.smd@dpf.gov.br wrote:
> I don't know if here is the rigth place do ask this question:

It is a generic question and isn't specific to Debian on laptops.
There isn't anything laptop specific about it and therefore would
apply to Debian in general instead of specifically to laptops.
Therefore the better place to ask this question is debian-user instead
of debian-laptop.

> I've a Pavillon tx1420us with Debian Lenny and trying to upgrade to a new
> kernel.

Ah...  But not just any kernel.  This is a custom kernel.  And
unfortunately the postinst script with it doesn't say anything about
what is the problem.  Let me run through it quickly.

> I'had no problem till installing de *.deb package (sorry lhe language is
> Portugues...):
>
> hp:/usr/src# dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.27_custom.1.0_amd64.deb
> Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado linux-image-2.6.27.
> (Lendo banco de dados ... 102681 arquivos e diretórios atualmente
> instalados).
> Desempacotando linux-image-2.6.27 (de
> linux-image-2.6.27_custom.1.0_amd64.deb) ...
> Done.

Selecting, checking, installing, all done with no problems.

> Configurando linux-image-2.6.27 (custom.1.0) ...
> Running depmod.
> Running postinst hook script update-grub.
> Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
> User postinst hook script [update-grub] exited with value 1

The update-grub script "exited with value 1".  This is the error.
This is what is causing your problem.  You need to know why
update-grub exited with an error.  Unfortunately it did not say what
the problem is about.

You can run update-grub manually and determine the problem.

  # update-grub

You should see some output similar to this output:

  Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
  Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
  Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
  Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
  Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686
  Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-686
  Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Apparently you are not.  Apparently yours is throwing an error.  But
the kernel you are installing is a custom kernel.  That is okay in
general but something may be incorrect about how it is constructed.
Something incorrect with this particular custom kernel might be the
root of the problem.

> dpkg: erro processando linux-image-2.6.27 (--install):
>  sub-processo post-installation script retornou estado de saída de erro 1

The sub-process had an error and exited with exit code 1.  This was
the update-grub script.

> Erros foram encontrados durante o processamento de:
>  linux-image-2.6.27

The installation had an error.

Bob