Re: HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop Broadcom network card problem

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 00:03:07 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have an HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop, that I dual boot into Windows XP Pro
> and Debian 4.0.
>
> The network access is okay with Windows XP, but works only intermittently
> with Debian.
>
> I am wondering whether something is wrong with the network card driver in
> Debian 4.0.

Do you use the 2.6.18 kernel? (If you are not sure, look at the output
that you get when you run "uname -a" in a terminal.)

> I do not know how to find what is the network card driver (the name of
> the driver software) that is being used by Debian 4.0.

Open a konsole window (or any other X terminal) and paste this command
into it:

lspci -knn | perl -n0e 'split/(?<=\n)(?=[0-9])/;foreach(@_){if(/Ether/){print$_}}'

Hit ENTER and post the output here. If you have trouble with this long
command, just use the first part ("lspci -knn") and cut out the relevant
part of the output yourself. (The lspci command list all your PCI
devices; we only need the lines related to network cards.)

> The PCI listing in the KDE Info Center, shows the Ethernet card as
> "Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02) "
> and with
> "Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 209".

AFAIK, this device is handled by the b44 driver. As a first diagnostic
tool, I would run

dmesg | grep b44

right after boot. Does that turn up anything?

> In the Interrupts table in the KDE Info Center, the line shows
> "209   47745   IO-APIC-level eth1"
>
> The Network Interfaces table in the KDE Info Center, shows three lines
> of text; one for each of eth0, eth1, and lo.

Post the output of the

/sbin/ifconfig

command.

> Please advise how I can resolve the problem between Debian 4.0 and the
> network card, as, that the network card seems to work without any
> problems with Windows XP, appears to show that the network card is not
> faulty.

Maybe you just need a newer kernel.

          Florian   |