Re: Laptops and Virtulization

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 13:16:11 Joseph Rawson wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2008 13:41:38 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:

> > > Stephan,
> > >
> > > I was using VirtualBox for a while, but could never get the bridged
> > > mode working due to my laptop connecting via wifi, but then again no
> > > one else needs to access my dev box anymore. Well DHCP wasn't working.
> > >
> > > Will give it a bash again, thank you...
> >
> > Just for future reference / anyone who is interested I got the following
> > working.
> >
> > And it almost does exactly what I need, well it's good enough for now:
> > <vbox-networking.sh>
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > LAN="eth1"
> > DHCP_SERVER="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
> >
> > case "${1}" in
> >         "start" )
> >                 TAP=$(VBoxTunctl -b -u clifford)
> >                 echo ${TAP} > /var/run/vbox.tap
> >                 sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 >> /dev/null
> >                 ip link set ${TAP} up
> >                 ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx dev ${TAP}
> >                 parprouted ${LAN} ${TAP}
> >                 iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ${LAN} -j MASQUERADE
> >                 dhcrelay3 -q -i ${LAN} -i ${TAP} ${DHCP_SERVER}
> >                 echo ${TAP}
> >                 ;;
> >         "stop" )
> >                 TAP=${3}
> >                 kill -9 $(ps -elf | grep ${TAP} | grep -v grep | awk
> > '{print $4}' | grep -v $$)
> >                 ifconfig ${TAP} down
> >                 VBoxTunctl -d ${TAP} >> /dev/null
> >                 sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=0 >> /dev/null
> >                 ;;
> > esac
> > </vbox-networking.sh>
> >
> > This can then be used by VirtualBox as the network script (Network -->
> > Host interface settings --> Setup/Terminate)
> >
> > I just run these as "sudo /path/to/vbox-networking.sh start" and it does
> > the rest.
> >
> > Unfortunately due to using parprouted it seems like it's not accessable
> > from the lan, but I'm working on this... The solutions possibly has
> > something to do with a bridge...
>
> I thought about replying to you when you first posted, but I didn't know
> how to respond to bridging over wifi.  The debian wiki has some pretty good
> info on setting up a bridge for virtualbox.  A few weeks ago, I updated the
> example script that brings the interface up and down, and added a snippet
> of my sudoers file that lets you run the particular commands without using
> a password.  On my system, all the tap interfaces are named
> vbox_{$vboxname}, and everything seems to be working just fine.
>
> Here's the page: http://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox
>
> I didn't like adding the tap interfaces to /etc/vbox/interfaces, and I
> think that the solution on the wiki page is much better than having to list
> static interfaces there.
>
> Btw, I've never heard of parprouted before.  I just looked up the package
> and it seems interesting.  I might play with this later.
>
> Using an ethernet bridge can be painful on a laptop sometimes, like when
> [...]

Just done some testing using a bridge, I've managed to get this part to work,
and VBox sets up the tap devices as required, the only problem is that the vm
can't see the network only the devices attached to the bridge.

Although, doing all of this and attaching the bridge to the wired connection
works... :/

The main problem I have with my previous method is that other machines on the
lan cannot see my vm's...

Why and how does VMWare get this right (ok other than having money thrown at
it :p )
--
Thank you,

Clifford W. Hansen