Re: Thinkpad R61i : Brightness Problem with Fn keys
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, umesh debian wrote:
I have installed Debian Lenny on my machine(Thinkpad R61i). I am using
custom kernel 22.214.171.124 with changes for USB modems.
The ALSA sound module is working fine and the Volume keys are working
with the GUI indication(volume is going up and down).
But the Brightness keys (Fn+Pgup or Pgdwn) are not working fine. The
GUI indication is happening but the Brightness is neither going down
But if in ROOT console i manipulate brightness through the proc file
system, then brightness is getting changed.
This brings down brightness
echo 4 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos
This brings up brightness
echo 5 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos
During this too i am getting the GUI indication from the tpb module.
Any suggestions on how to debug this?? I am using KDE 3.5.9
you have some players here..
first the "thinkpad_acpi" kernel module
- it handles all your special buttons
- it has tweaks for varios old configs like the /proc interface
- it allows to modify how the buttons should work
- the kernel did nothing
- the userspace polled with tools like tpd the state and changed it
- not a good solution
- the kernel handels everything
- userspace has to tell the kernel how it should be done
here is your problem. the thinkpad_acpi module per default doesn't
handle brightness, because the newer X servers in combination with hal
should do it.
so take a look at
Line: 534, Compatibility notes