Re: Thinkpad 770 memory problem

I'll try that. It is worth a shot,but the BIOS test doesn't show any errors. One thing does occur to me. The modules I put in were PC133 not PC66. In theory, they should be backward compatible, but maybe they aren't fully. Does anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Isaac MacFarlane wrote:
> The cat /proc/meminfo results in a MemTotal of 224436 kb.

Okay.

> When I try the mem=288M it gives me an Error 28: Selected item
> cannot fit into memory.

I believe that is a grub error.  Grub doesn't believe there is that
much memory present.

> I find that puzzling since the BIOS reports the full 288M.

About the only suggestion I have left is to try running memtest.
Perhaps there is perhaps a bad memory dimm in the machine?  Just
guessing but perhaps the memory is present but that it has errors?

Bob