From: Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: NIC not dectected - broadcom 59xx
To: janskey_boy@yahoo.com
Cc: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 5:46 AM

Hello,

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 04:57 -0700, janskey wrote:
> I'm having problem installing debian 4 on my dell inspiron 1420,
> because it can't find my interface from fresh install.
>
> NIC details: broadcom 59xx - netlink fast ethernet

You should "lspci -nn" to get the PCI id[1].

Then you can search for the device in the page [2] to find the module
that handle your PCI card (under DebianUnstable's 2.6.25).

Then use "modinfo MODULENAME" to see if Etch supports it too.

Franklin.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/HowToIdentifyADevice/PCI
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DeviceDatabase/PCI

----
Note:
According to http://bugs.debian.org/469727, the 1420 seems to have a
"NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1713]" NIC.
This NIC doesn't seems to be handled by DebianEtch's 2.6.18 (see
"modinfo tg3").
If it's your case too, you might want to test:
http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf
Then submit an Installation report :
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug