Touchpad in KDE Lenny

Have made lots of modifications to the /xorg.conf file as directed by the README, but still am not working. I did the install from a cd. I can't remember whether I was presented with the choice by the installer as to what environments were to be installed; desktop, laptop,print server etc.

If it did then I'm curious as to whether I selected the laptop environment, and that's why I experiencing these difficulties. Is there anyway to check? If laptop environment wasn't installed, is there a way to go back and modify the installation?