Re: USB WLAN

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:32:17 +0100
Jörg-Volker Peetz <peetz@scai.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> Andre Lorenz wrote:
> <snip>
> > I'm using Debian Etch R2 on my laptop. from former time I've an
> > USB-Wlan Stick from Sitecom.
> > the USB-stick is known, if i do lsusb, also the kernel-module will
> > be loadaded without any error-message.
> >
> > but now my question.
> >
> > where can i find a good manual / howto to configure this stick
> > (assining ip, using wep-key .....)
> <snip>
>
> An introduction on howto set up encrypted WLAN for Debian can be
> found in the documentation of the package wpasupplicant which is
> mandatory for this task and, therefore, should be installed first.

Actually, wpasupplicant is not necessary if you just want WEP, and
getting wpasupplicant configured and working is fairly non-trivial,
especially if you want to use WPA. I tried once and failed miserably. If
you just want a real simple networking tutorial, perhaps this will help:

http://www.ckintl.biz/index.php?id=76

Clayton