Re: configuring madwifi

westniles46@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm struggling with wireless on my nc6000 laptop. I followed the
> newbie instructions on www.madwifi.org.

This is an old write-up I did for my nc4000.  Taking the vintage of
the write-up for Sarge into consideration the instructions there might
help you.

  http://www.proulx.com/~bob/nc4000/

> Installation went well, the
> blue light turns on. Then when I type "wlist ath0 scan", the return
> is "ath0 no scan results" even though I a next to my wireless router
> at home. I'm using WEP encrytion and typed "iwconfig ath0 key
> xxxxxxxxxx" with my real key.
>
> I think I'm configuring the wireless incorrectly, but I cannot find
> a thread.

I am just going to quote directly from my old page on the subject.  I
am sure things have changed since then.  You might need to make
adjustments to these old Sarge instructions.

  Getting the wireless running consists of the following for me. These
  are all done as root. Of course if you have a closed access point you
  will need to set the SSID to match instead of to "any". This is the
  "coffee shop" setting.

      modprobe ath_pci
      iwconfig ath0 mode managed rate auto rts off frag off key off enc off
      iwconfig ath0 txpower auto  # seems to power up transmitter
      iwconfig ath0 essid any     # seems to power up transmitter
      ifconfig ath0 up            # initiates active scan for access point
      sleep 2                     # give time to settle
      iwlist ath0 scanning
      shorewall start
      dhclient ath0

  Initially iwconfig shows the txpower off. But after this txpower is on
  (0 db). Unloading the module seems to power off the transmitter. I am
  still experimenting with this.

      ifconfig ath0 down
      rmmod ath_pci
      rmmod ath_hal
      rmmod wlan

> Can anyone help? New to debian, new to madwifi. Please excuse me if
> I should post to madwifi.org instead.

I think this is quite a good topic for debian-laptop.

Bob