Re: sound with Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:42:20 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

> I know this has been covered before, but I am just doing a periodical
> check to see if anyone has solved it in the meantime.  Many do seem to
> get sound on laptops now, so there is hope...

  <snip>

> It would be really nice if someone knows how to make it sing, as I
> am getting tired of telling Doze users that the only reason my
> computer cannot play cds is that I haven't any need to and haven't
> had time to configure it.  Actually both statements are untrue :-(

I have several old Thinkpads of Pentium II & III vintage, and have
found with recent kernels that sound (and other things too!!) support
kind of comes and goes. It would seem that kernel developers all have
nice shiny new machines.

To solve most of my sound card headaches I bought a pair of USB
headphones, and a pair of high-quality USB speakers. I have also found
that if I blacklist the module for the internal sound card, when I plug
in a USB sound device it becomes the one and only default sound device,
and almost all software talks to it just fine. (Getting some software
to talk to a USB sound card in the second position is non-trivial....)

Just a thought.

Clayton