Re: postinstallation: drive_cmd: seek complete error

hello Franklin,

On Monday 07 January 2008 13:00:04 Franklin Piat wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:44:48 +0100, Martin Wegmann
>
> <wegmann@biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed debian (netinstall) on a T61 Thinkpad which worked fine until
> > I booted my system after the installation.
>
> Did you installed Etch or Testing ?

testing netinstall, but I will try it again with the CD-1 of testing.

> > The monitor turns blank after a few seconds and the system did not
>
> respond
>
> > anymore. It tooks me a few reboots to read the last error message.
>
> Can you boot in single-user mode ?

yes, but problem remains

> What graphic adapter do have (Intel or Nvidia) ?
> $ lspci -nn | grep -E "(VGA|Display)"

all these commands are not possible because after this error messages my
system does not respond anymore.

> Which xorg video drivier do you use (vesa, intel, nv from xorg or
> proprietary one ...)
> Which Desktop environement (Gnome, KDE...)

I did not spend time to change my desktop during installation, the default is
Gnome, but I will change to KDE

> Is DRI enabled ?
> $ grep /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep DRI

can not change to CLI

> > setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfe (254)
> > hda: drive_cmd: status=8x51 (DriveReady SekkCompleter Error)
> > hda: drive_cmd: error=8x84 (AbortedCommand)
> > ???. failed opcode ??: 8xef
> > ??IO_Drive_CMD failed: Input/output error
>
> /dev/hda is probably your cdrom. try
> $cat /proc/ide/hda/model
> mine says "HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE GCC-4247N"... which is a  DVD ;)

well it is also a DVD/CD-RW, but not yet further informations

> - Try ejecting the "CDROM", and check if the errors occurs again.

same problem

> - In the BIOS, have you configured SATA as "compatible" or "AHCI" mode ?

it is set to AHCI

> > I couldn't read the ? parts but if they are important I can reboot again
> > and try to read it before the screen turns blank.
> >
> > I found some hits with the similar error messages but not during boot or
> > after the first boot at all.
> >
> > Any idea how to solve this? Reinstall debian from another media? T61 are
> > supported as far as I know (lots of pages describing the installation).
>
> Testing/Lenny has better T61 harware support than Etch/Stable, but
> Lenny/Testing it
> self isn't as stable as... Etch/Stable !

I downloaded lenny CD instead of the netinstall and will try it again.

cheers, Martin