Re: Dual boot Vista Debian Unstable hardware clock read incorrectly

Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> Vista sets the hardware clock to local time.

Yes.  Annoying.  And trouble making.

> To compensate for this I have UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS

Good.

> This setting seems to be ignored. Debian seems to think that the hardware
> clock is set to UTC, so in Debian the clock is one hour ahead.
>
> My time zone is Europe/Copenhagen.
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Setting /etc/default/rcS is the proper thing to do.  See the man page
for details of it.

  man rcS

  If this option is set to no then the system clock is assumed to be
  set to local time.

But then you must have the system timezone set correctly.  Please
double check.  What is the timezone reported by 'date -R'?

  $ cat /etc/timezone
  Europe/Copenhagen

  $ md5sum /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Copenhagen /etc/localtime
  8efc72daacd8884fa3c64cedf19cd8ee  /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Copenhagen
  8efc72daacd8884fa3c64cedf19cd8ee  /etc/localtime

Those should match.  If they don't then your system time is actually
configured to a different timezone.  You can run tzconfig directly to
reconfigure your timezone information.

  $ sudo tzconfig

Or you could reconfigure the tzdata package.  This will run the
package configuration script, which will call tzconfig

  $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Additionally the NTP daemons may need to be restarted too.  They
should only be trying to set the system time and the system time is
already in UTC and so should not be an issue.  But let's not forget
them.

Or your problem might be something different than anything I have
suggested.  But you are doing the right thing by starting at rcS.

Bob