Re: system time - thank you

Richard Lyons wrote:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 01:14:16PM +0200, daniele pendenza wrote:
[...]
Just to make it clear to everyone interested - also in the future :

1 - 'hwclock --show' : reads by its own the content of '/etc/adjtime' (if this file does not exist the dafault(*) is localtime) to understand if the RTC is in UTC or LOCALTIME than it shows, after a conversion if necessary, the time in localtime.
[...]
If all that I wrote is correct : why the command ' hwclock --show --localtime' shows me the UTC time and 'hwclock --show --utc' shows me the localtime ?

That is all very well for some.  My Acer Aspire with etch responds to
all hwclock queries with this:

select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

But it seems to work just the same...
Hi Richard,

I actually don't understand why u picked up two different mails of mine and joined them :-( . Maybe were u trying to explain what happens to u ? Anyways, in my situation all the hwclock output finally was right

1- with ' hwclock --show --localtime' I tell the software (with the "flag" --localtime) that the time in RTC is stored in localtime. So the RTC time is output without a conversion because it MUST show the localtime (this is _its mission_). But that information is wrong cause the time in RTC is stored in in UTC time ! 2- with ' hwclock --show --utc' I tell the software (with the "flag" --utc) that the time in RTC is stored in utc. So the RTC time is output _with_ a conversion because it MUST show the localtime (this is its mission). And now the information was right.

So the "flags" that u use on the command line (--localtime, --utc) tell the software (hwclock) an information that it needs to produce the output AND NOT what the output will be - because the OUTPUT WILL ALWAYS BE LOCALTIME - its mission, remember.

I also found on the net a wiki that u can check if your problem is

My Acer Aspire with etch responds to
all hwclock queries with this:

select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

here it is : http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_hwclock

I hope I ve been of help,

cheers

daniele