Re: system time

Florian Reitmeir schrieb:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007, Ralph Plawetzki wrote:

Well, this is a good idea to not have different times in the two operating systems on a dual boot machine, but leads to incorrect interpretation of time-sent stamps in e-mails. The MUA will show time stamps that differ the amount of time the set UTC on the machine differs from the real UTC.

Unfortunately I've got no solution for this problem on dual boot machines.

?????????????????????????????????????

You did not get my point.
Lets assume I would follow your suggestion and change the time on the linux part of a dual boot system to the actual local time by using „date -us“ (you call UTC „system-default timezone“). In this case the UTC on the system would be stored in the RTC and windows would have the same time. BUT you would have to change the timezone of the user too in order to have the time (e.g. time-stamps in e-mails) displyed correctly. Following your suggestion the timezone would have to be set to UTC too. Thats the wrong way.

In my mind using „date -us“ should allways be used to set the clock to actual UTC and nohing diffferent. What I meant by having no solution was that the time on the linux part of a dual boot system is set to appropriate UTC / timezone, but UTC will be saved to the RTC which leads to a wrong time in windows.

The other post from pinniped changing /etc/default/rcS solves that problem.

_every_ user can have its on timezone. And how timestamps look in mails is
defined in one of the many RFCs, and has really (on linux) _nothing_ todo
with the BIOS time, or System-Default-Timezone.

Yes, every user can have his own timezone. Localtime based on the users timezone and UTC are two different things, I agree with that.

If you send mails, and the timezone is incorrect, then simply set the correct
timezone in KDE/Gnome/...or LC_TIME

and to repeat:

	Time in an running Linux, has _nothing_ todo with your BIOS clock.