Re: file recovery - urgent

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:11:02PM +0200, Micha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please excuse this is not strictly debian or laptop related,
> but i'm in urgent trouble.
> I accidently deleted a folder with 3500 files on my laptop,

late replay, but might come handy for anybody in similar situation.
I had the problem to recover photos from an SD trashed by Linux/MacOSX
usb-storage brokeness, by chance - reading up the badblocks-HowTo - I went
to 'photorec' website:

  http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

It turned out that photorec claims to knows about and search for a long list
file types, on several types of partitions and fs.

photorec was very effective to recover my stuff out of the image-file image
of the 0.5G SD (I selected JPG, MOV, DSC). That might have been a rel. easy
task though, as jpg+mov have been recorded sequentially and were likely well
ordered, so YMMV a lot.
But worth a try for sure. Thanks to Chritophe. Check also links to dfrws.org.

--
 paolo

 GPG/PGP id:0x1D5A11A4  - 04FC 8EB9 51A1 5158 1425  BC12 EA57 3382 1D5A 11A4
 "Indeed, it does come with warranty: it *will* fail."