getting PS/2 wheelmouse's scrollwheel to work on Thinkpad 600?

Folks,

I've never gotten the scrollwheel on my PS/2 wheelmouse to work on my
IBM Thinkpad 600 running Debian 4.0r0, and I'd really like to be able to
use it. What magical incantations am I missing from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
or elsewhere?

The physical mouse works just fine; I've moved it onto another Debian
system (a desktop system), and all its buttons and its scrollwheel
worked just fine over there (there, xev(1) reported that scrollwheel
forward is button 4, and scrollwheel back is button 5).

The /etc/X11/xorg.conf on my laptop has sections:

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Buttons"               "5"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
    EndSection

I've also tried sections:

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
    EndSection

I'm using KDE, and the applications that don't scroll in response to the
scrollwheel are:

o   rxvt
o   IceWeasel
o   Emacs

Interestingly, xev(1) prints events out in response to all mouse events
except scrollwheel forward and scrollwheel back:

o   yes     mouse movement
o   yes     left mouse button down
o   yes     left mouse button up
o   yes     right mouse button down
o   yes     right mouse button up
o   yes     scrollwheel "button" down
o   yes     scrollwheel "button" up
o   no      scrollwheel forward
o   no      scrollwheel back

I have only the psmouse and not the mousedev module loaded:

    % lsmod | fgrep mouse
    psmouse                35016  0
    %

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Regards,
Eric
--
"Only the most foolish of mice would hide in a cat's ear. But only the
wisest of cats would think to look there." --Scott Love

Eric De Mund              |      Ixian Systems      |
email: <ead@ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | ICQ: 811788
http://www.ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | Y!M: ead0002