Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

I goofed and replied only to the sender.  Forwarding to list...

----- Forwarded message from "Selim T. Erdogan" <selim@cs.utexas.edu> -----

Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 16:27:56 -0500
From: "Selim T. Erdogan" <selim@cs.utexas.edu>
To: Denis Papathanasiou <denis.papathanasiou@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:58:26AM -0400, Denis Papathanasiou wrote:
> >You can find the chipset by doing 'lspci', and looking for the line
> >that corresponds to your pcmcia card.
>
> Hmmm... I called lspci in verbose mode (I actually did it the first
> time you asked), but nothing comes back that looks like a chipset
> definition:
>
> # lspci -vvm
> Device: 02:00.0
> Class:  Network controller
> Vendor: Broadcom Corporation
> Device: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
> SVendor:        Linksys
> SDevice:        WPC54G
> Rev:    02

I helped someone out with a similar wireless device under Ubuntu
recently.  You might try using the native driver (bcm43xx) instead of
ndiswrapper.  I believe you will need to extract the firmware from
the windows drivers.  There's a debian package called bcm43xx-fwcutter
which will do this and put the files in /lib/firmware.
(Instructions at http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/153/213/
also mention that it might be good to copy *.fw files from /lib/firmware
to /lib/hotplug/firmware the author doesn't sound too sure about that.)

Selim T. Erdoğan