Re: Streaming video over SMB in KDE?

Hi,

On Son, 18 Mär 2007, Joe Emenaker wrote:

> I'm trying to view videos on a SMB share on another machine.
>
> After navigating to the share with Konqueror (using the smb:// url), I
> can right-click on any video and select "Open with..." and select a
> variety of players: noatun, kaboodle, kmplayer, VLC, xine, etc. However,
> none of them seem to work, except for VLC. Furthermore, VLC downloads
> the entire file to a tempfile before playing it, which seems an
> unnecessary delay.
>
> All of the solutions I've found on Google involve mounting the share to
> the filesystem. I'd like to avoid this for several reasons. First,
> Windows doesn't have to do this, so I think Linux should be able to as
> well. Secondly, I sometimes want to play media from a variety of shares,
> and, being on a laptop that I take to places, they're not all available
> at the same time. I don't want to have to have a handful of
> mountpoints,  and and have to manage which ones need to be mounted at
> any given time. Lastly, I've noticed that, if I have a share mounted,
> and then I suspend my laptop and take it someplace else, and then wake
> it at someplace from where I can't get to that share anymore, it causes
> Konqueror to just lock up for a couple of minutes.

> If you can offer a mounting solution that avoids all of those problems,
> then I might pursue that avenue. Otherwise, I don't see why there isn't
> a player that can stream over SMB (or any other network protocol). Isn't
> VLC supposed to understand network streaming? Is there a change I need
> to make to KDE to get it to pass the URL of the file instead of
> downloading the file locally?

> Lastly, if KDE is downloading the file locally, why don't noatun,
> kmplayer, and kaboodle working with it. From watching the network
> traffic, I can tell that KDE is downloading the file (just like with
> VLC) but, with VLC, I see a little download progress bar as the file
> downloads, then it finishes, then VLC gets launched. With the others,
> the player gets launched immediately, doesn't play anything, and then I
> see the network traffic. Anybody know why?

first.. its always a goot idea to post a mail per problem.

The problem you encountered is, the KDE-Filesystem, there is also a
Gnome-Filesystem (KDE-VFS vs. Gnome-VFS) both filesystems have the annoying
feature, that only PURE Kde/Gnome programs work with them like a real
filesystem. All other applications are "simulated" that means .. copy the
file to a local tmp-dir and then .. play/edit/..

For KDE and windows-shares try, smb4k, its a fine tool which mounts the
filesystem nativ, but has a nice browser and hides the whole mounting thing.

--
Florian Reitmeir