[Fwd: Re: Cannot mount usb memory with correct filesystem encoding]

Sorry -- forgot to reply to the *list*, rather than to him personally.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Cannot mount usb memory with correct filesystem encoding
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:11:12 -0600
From: Christopher White <christopher.white@sbcglobal.net>
To: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I mount an SD card (via USB card reader) to have a specific
> filename encoding on Ubuntu Feisty 7.04? My laptop is UTF-8, but the
> SD card in my Nokia 6288 seems to be CP1255 or ISO-8859-8. The Hebrew
> filenames show up as question marks, not letters. So if on the Nokia I
> make three directories on the card:
> EnglishDir
> תיקייהעברית
> עודאחד2
>
> Then this is what I see on my laptop:
> EnglishDir
> ??????2

The problem might be the terminal: the fact that it's dealing with
right-to-left correctly makes it seem that the terminal just can't
display the hebrew characters. If you're using one of the kernel tty's,
you might try starting X and using xterm.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't, you will have pretty much exhausted my
expertise :-).

Christopher