sound in Thinkpad X61s

Hi.

I have a thinkpad x61s and I'm using debian unstable.
The thing is I can't get no sound even thou I'm using alsa 1.0.15
which should work with my Analog Devices 1984 sound card using
snd_hda_intel module which is loaded.
I can hear something if I press backspace on a console while the sound
is playing.
I have all channels unmuted and the hardware mute switch is not on.

Anyone with a X61s or a T61, which has the same card has a fix for
this?

Thanks

note: lspci lists this card as:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)