Re: Toshiba fan (Etch, Tecra 8100)

Paulo Gomes ha scritto:
> I think I've made some progress. Remember I'm running Etch, not Lenny,
> on an old Tecra 8100 (which AFAIK has a Toshiba BIOS).
>
> After loading the required modules:
>
> # modprobe toshiba
> # modprobe toshiba_acpi
>
> successfully, toshset changed its error message:
>
> # toshset -q
> toshset: this computer is not supported
>
> I gave up using toshset for the time being.
> Meanwhile, there's another program: FnFX. From the documentation:
>
>   FnFX enables owners of Toshiba laptops to change the LCD brightness,
> control, the internal fan and use the special keys on their keyboard
> (Fn-x combinations, hot-keys).
>
> The packages are fnfxd (daemon) and fnfx-client, available in the main
> repo (in Etch).
> My laptop is listed in the documentation (in /usr/share/doc/fnfxd/) as
> a 'verified Toshiba model'.
> After installing them, I have been able to switch the fan on and off
> with Fn-3. The file /etc/fnfx/fnfxd.conf lists the keys and their
> functions.
>
> Hope this helps Mirto and/or someone else with the same problem.
Thanks

I tried fnfxd but my laptop (a Satellite P30-130 - a 3 year old machine)
is not listed between the tested  machines.

Trying to start the demon says:

msb01:/etc/init.d# ./fnfxd start
Starting Toshiba hotkeys utils: FnFX Daemon v0.3 (c) 2003, 2004 Timo
Hoenig <thoenig@nouse.net>

fatal error: Could not open /proc/acpi/toshiba/keys.
Please make sure that your kernel has enabled the Toshiba option in the
ACPI section.
For more information read the documentation and/or
http://fnfx.sf.net/index.php?section=doc#kernel.

So I suppose it soesn't work (BTW the stock kernel has the 2 toshiba
options enabled).

What can I do to start this damned fan?

Mirto

Mirto Silvio Busico 		ICT Consultant