Re: kernel problen 2.6.21

Cavan Mejias wrote:
>  Has anyone had installed the 2.6.21 kernel from backports.org on a
> Inspiron with a Turion 64 single processor and then had the boot process
> hang after detecting the cdrom drive? Are there any known bugs relating to
> this problem? Any workarounds?

This is one of those non-data data points.  I installed 2.6.21 from
Sid on my otherwise Etch T42 laptop and everything worked fine.  (I
did this specifically to get support for the new 'powertop' program.)
At this point I don't think there is a requirement for a backport.
You may simply want to install the Sid version directly.

Eventually Sid will drift far enough from Etch that a backport will
probably be required in the future so this is just a suggestion for
now and not one for all time in the future.

Bob