Re: Swap encryption (via LUKS) and Hibernation (disk suspend)

q9u3x4c02@sneakemail.com wrote:
> Did you also use LVM2 by any chance? I would actually like to have both LVM2
> and LUKS if possible.

Yes it is lvm2.  I used the debian-install to set it up.  lvm2 is the
default now.

> > It works for me.  Your mileage may vary.
>
> I really hope my mileage will not vary! I am really worried of the
> installation working and even suspend and hibernation working correctly but
> then one day, whether due to upgrade or whatnot, hibernation fails, corrupts
> swap and upon resume, corrupts my data.

While trying things I have many times had both suspend to memory and
to disk both fail.  I have fsck'd my disks many times.  Although it is
possible to experience filesystem corruption it is a rare thing and
not something that happens with every crash.  I would not fear it as
an overwhelming problem.

One clarification though.  In my case I was specifically talking about
suspend to disk working for me.  The original question was about
suspending to disk with an encrypted partition and that was the point
I was addressing.  With my described configuration on the T42 suspend
to disk with an encrypted partition is working perfectly and I have
not yet experienced a failure with it.

But suspend to ram is not quite so good on my T42.  While I can
demonstrate suspend to ram working I cannot do it reliably 100% of the
time.  This is not related to the encrypted partitions.  On the T43p
(gone to a friend) both types of suspend seem to be quite reliable.
But unfortunately for me I have not quite converged on a good recipe
for suspend to ram to be 100% reliable.  It sometimes works and
sometimes fails to resume.

I am still collecting information about it and will eventually be
posting my own questions to the list about it.  But in the meantime I
have been using suspend to disk with everything encrypted and that has
not yet failed me.

Bob