Re: ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

Jim Moore(j9916moore@bellsouth.net) is reported to have said:
> Wayne Topa wrote:
>
> >Jim Moore(j9916moore@bellsouth.net) is reported to have said:

<--<snip>-->

> Have you done a successful installation of the intel on an etch laptop?

Only on the T40 which had the ipw2100 built in.  I installed it on
Etch/Testing prior to Etch going stable, so it should work on Etch.

> I did a locate and it appears that wireless tools and the ieee files
> came with the install, so I've not bothered to download and install
> them.  My firmware files are in place yet when I try to do the make on
> the ipw2200_110 file nothing executes.  Am stumped at this point.  Maybe
> bad files in firmware or ipw downloads, so shall start by re-downloaded
> those and putting them in clean.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not sure if I understand the problem.  Let me try to remember the
steps I took.

I installed the ipw2200-source package and went to the sourceforge
site for the firmware.  I put the firmware in /lib/firmware.  I then
used module-assistant to compile the source (m-a prepare : m-a a-i
ipw2100 in my case).  m-a does it all for you, extracts the source,
compiles it, and installs the modules.  See man module-assistant.
After that it's just a matter of finding out what the card can do and
how to tell it to do it.  :-)

I hope that is the answer you were after.

Regards

Wayne