ipw2200 on Gateway 4522 running etch

Anyone give me any ideas on how to do this. Normally the the ipw2200 file is extracted and the ipw2200-1.1.0 is made and installed. Then the ipw2200 fw 3.0 is unzipped and the four files are placed in the/lib/firmware folder. Etch won't let me move files in the firmware folder, says I don't have permission. If I choose change user from the "Desktop" menu, it won't let me log in as root. I'm at a loss as to how to make this happen.
Jim