HP nw9440, acpid, thermal zone turns display on

Hi

with my new HP nw9440 I had the problem that dpms of my display didnt
work, ie. it didnt stay in standby/suspend/off mode. With some debugging
I found that acpid was active whenever the display turned on again, so I
tried to find out why.

So, to be able to work without pressing keys and stuff I did use ssh,
logging in twice. One shell did run acpi_listen as root, the other a
simple export DISPLAY=:0.0 (running as the user that had logged into X
locally) and then xset dpms force off. Waiting until the display turned
on showed that the event that does this is "thermal_zone [some data]".

Fine, looking at acpi -t I get

     Thermal 1: ok, 39.0 degrees C
     Thermal 2: ok, 39.0 degrees C
     Thermal 3: active[4], 58.0 degrees C
     Thermal 4: ok, 41.0 degrees C
     Thermal 5: ok, 31.0 degrees C
     Thermal 6: ok, 40.0 degrees C

so yes, one thermal zone is active. But why does acpid react on it, in
/etc/acpi/events is nothing defined for it. As turning display on is
annoying, especially in a laptop where you, sometimes, may want to wish
to save the energy, I went and created an thermal file in events/,
content is

event=thermal_zone.*
action=/bin/true

which simply ignores the events from thermal.

Boom, no longer display problems, it stays turned off when it should.

Now - does anyone can spot a problem doing this this way? I mean - acpid
isnt handling the thermal zone thing by default anyway, so I dont seem
to turn off any functionality with this setting. I also have my laptop
running with that for multiple hours now, with the temperature going up
and down, the thermal zone switching away from active once when it was
cold enough, so I cant spot a problem here, it seems to handle it all
without me needing to do anything. But I may miss something important.

--
bye Joerg
[Es geht um MySQL]