Re: IBM T22 S3 Savage Video Sarge to Etch Upgrade

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 20:48:19 -0400, jtl wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:10:22 +0200 Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > You seem to have two problems:
> >
> > 1) graphics card
> >
> > Try to comment out the "VideoRam 4000" line from xorg.conf. If this does
> > not make the error go away then you have to reduce your resolution
> > and/or DefaultDepth. I think this error is not the reason for X to fail
> > completely, but your graphics rendering will be significantly faster and
> > use less CPU cycles if you get the DRI (direct rendering infrastructure)
> > going.
> >
> > 2) mouse and touchpad
> >
> > There is a problem with the device node for mouse and touchpad. Try to
> > do "modprobe psmouse" as root and check if you can start X after that.
> > If this does not help then we need the output of these two commands:
> >
> > ls -l /dev/input/by-id
> > awk '/Section "InputDevice"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

[...]

> 1. Commenting out VideoRam 4000 line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:  No change.
>    Reducing screen default depth from 24 to 16 to 8: No change.

Then maybe you indeed need to change a BIOS setting or the card simply
does not have more video ram. I never had a savage card, therefore I am
not aware of whatever specific tricks might exist for these models.
Let's focus on the mouse problem for now as this seems to be the
critical thing which keeps your X from starting.

> 2. modprobe psmouse as root then type X to start X: No change.
>    ls -l /dev/input/by-id reports no such file name.
>    ls -l /dev/input/ reports the following:
>    total 0
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 64 2005-02-26 00:43 event0
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 65 2005-02-26 00:43 event1
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 66 2005-02-26 00:43 event2
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 67 2005-02-26 00:43 event3
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13,  0 2005-02-26 00:43 js0
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13,  1 2005-02-26 00:43 js1
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13,  2 2005-02-26 00:43 js2
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13,  3 2005-02-26 00:43 js3
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 63 2005-02-26 00:43 mice
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 32 2005-02-26 00:43 mouse0
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 33 2005-02-26 00:43 mouse1
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 34 2005-02-26 00:43 mouse2
>    crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 35 2005-02-26 00:43 mouse3

I am surprised that you do not have the "by-id" and "by-path"
directories in /dev/input. I am starting to suspect that there is
something wrong with udev on your system. (udev is responsible for
creating the device nodes.) Can you post the output of these two
commands:

dpkg -l udev hotplug
uname -a

Meanwhile you can try a few more things:

Make sure that the "mdetect" package is installed and run "mdetect" as
root. It should give you two lines of output, the device node and the
protocol for your mouse. Try to use these strings for "Device" and
"Protocol" in your /etx/X11/xorg.conf.

You can search for the mouse device yourself by testing each device
node. As root you can run, e.g.

cat /dev/input/mice | hd

and move the mouse. If you have used the right device node then you
should see output (codes) scrolling by. (You can exit with CTRL + C.)
Can you find the device node for the mouse? (also try the mouseX ones)

[...]

>    Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> 	Option		"CorePointer"
> 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
>    EndSection
>    Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
> 	Driver		"synaptics"
> 	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
> 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
> 	Option		"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
> 	Option		"HorizScrollDelta"	"0"
>   EndSection
>
> Added to xorg.config ServerFlags Section:
>    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "true"
>    X fails on first resolution attempted. Boots to gray background
>    with X crosshairs, no mouse, no menu on second attempt.

Well, at least we know now that the mouse is the most critical part at
the moment.

          Florian   |