Re: Best notebook

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:06:33 -0400
"Marcus C. Gottwald" <gottwald@inf.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Michelle Konzack wrote (Tue 2007-Apr-10 17:48:49 +0200):
>
> > Am 2007-04-04 17:00:25, schrieb Christoph Kling:
> ..
> > > I plan to buy a notebook to use with Debian. I wonder if some of you
> > > might have a few tips which manufacturer or which models in general
> > > are notably known to cause only few problems with Linux and Debian
> > > concerning hardware support and so on.
> >
> > IBM/Lenovo, any!
>
> Just make sure to avoid ATI graphics cards if you plan on
> running open source only and don't really need all fancy
> acceleration. You can find almost all Thinkpad models with an
> Intel graphics card for a reasonable surcharge, if you just
> dig deep enough into the Lenovo website.
>

> Cheers, Marcus
>
> --
>    Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/
>

> --

I'm using Etch AMD64 on a new Dell Inspiron 6400.  Unfortunately being the cheapskate I am I decided on an ATI Graphics card.  Most Dells though have the option of an Intel or NVidia card which is well supported under Linux.  Also they come with the option of Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG also supported well (I'm using it this very moment to send e-mails via a wireless router under Etch).

The only unfortunate thing is that you'll probably need to install some non-free drivers in my case fglrx for the ATI card and ipw3945 stuff for the wireless.

regards,

Ananda Samaddar