Re: Dual monitor usage of Acer Aspire 3610: laptop screen turns off

Hello,

Your Acer Aspire 3610 seems to have an intel video chipset (do you
actually use "i810" driver in /etc/x11/xorg.conf ?).

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 19:36 +0100, Juanjavier wrote:
> Screen 2 displays *exactly* the same signal than screen 1 -the laptop
one.
This mode is often refered to as "clone" (for i810 driver) or
"mirror" (general term).

> Screen 2 displays *an extension* of the image shown in screen 1
>  (i.e., the mouse pointer leaves screen 1 and re-appears in screen 2)
This mode has no specific name in i810-driver vocabulary (it is similar
to ati's Xinerama or x11's MergedFB, however none apply to your
situation ;)

> What direction should I take in order to search for information on
this?
of course, manpages "xorg.conf" and "i810" are good reference.
Googling respectively for "i810 xorg.conf clone" and "i810 xorg.conf LFP
CRT" should give good results.

The xorg for my Thinkpad T60 (which i also uses the i810 driver) is
http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/Etch_on_Thinkpad_T60.xorg.conf.txt
In contains four (server) Layout. the first one named "Clone" and the
last one (inaproprately) named Xinerama shoul be interesting for you.
("CRT Only Layout" is only usefull for high resolution under Xen. Vesa
is a compatible anything entry).
I enable the one i want to use in xorg.conf, then restart gdm.

Franklin