No tap-and-drag with gpm and Synaptics touchpad

Hello everyone!

Recently I got myself a new laptop computer, a Thinkpad T60.
Everything's looking fine so far (well, as good as a modern ATI
card with proprietary drivers gets...), but the Synaptics
touchpad is causing a little trouble: I can't use tap-and-drag
with gpm.

X.org is working great with the touchpad, using the "synaptics"
driver. Tap-to-click is working with gpm, double- and
triple-tap-to-click is working as well. Clicking with any of the
buttons is working, button-click-and-drag is working. Choosing a
different protocol in gpm's config doesn't make a difference.
Having X running or not running doesn't make a difference.

The only thing unsual that I can see is that tpconfig seems not
to be able to read or change the "tapmode". Since tap-to-click
is working, tapmode should be set to 1.

  # tpconfig -i
  Found Synaptics Touchpad.
  Firmware: 8.96 (multiple-byte mode).
  Sensor type: unknown (0).
  Geometry: rectangular/landscape/up.
  Packets: absolute, 80 packets per second.
  Corner taps disabled;           no tap gestures.
  Edge motion: none.
  Z threshold: 6 of 7.
  2 button mode; corner tap is right button click.

  # tpconfig --tapmode=0
  Found Synaptics Touchpad.
  Firmware: 8.96 (multiple-byte mode).
  Corner taps disabled;           no tap gestures.

  # tpconfig --tapmode=1
  Found Synaptics Touchpad.
  Firmware: 8.96 (multiple-byte mode).
  Corner taps disabled;           no tap gestures.

  # tpconfig --tapmode=2
  Found Synaptics Touchpad.
  Firmware: 8.96 (multiple-byte mode).
  Corner taps disabled;           no tap gestures.

  # tpconfig --tapmode=3
  Found Synaptics Touchpad.
  Firmware: 8.96 (multiple-byte mode).
  Corner taps disabled;           no tap gestures.

Anybody got a hint?

Cheers, Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/