Etch freezes after dist-upgrade

Hi all,
I'm running Debian Etch on a Toshiba Satellite A100, I had no issues
for several months until yesterday.

After I did an
apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

something apparently went wrong and the system started to freeze
completely after a few minutes, each time I had to restart it by
brute force.

I removed all ipw3945* packages, which gave me problems in the past,
but some problems still remain: gnome-power-manager applet does not
display icon any more on the panel (but seem to be running, according
to a ps -ef), and sometimes I have to kill gnome-screensaver in order to
regain access to X.

Anyone has got an idea on what may be going on, or has the same
problem?

Thanks in advance.

Giacomo
---