Re: etch installer does not find network card.

cga2000(cga2000@optonline.net) is reported to have said:
> I am trying to do an etch netinst on a Dell Inspiron with a 3Com PC
> NIC/modem combo PC card.
>
> After choosing a couple of things such as language, keymap, etc. the
> installer scans my laptop for a network card but doesn't find one.
>
> I am then prompted to choose the card's driver from a list.  I select
> 3c574_cs .. the installer performs another silent round of scanning and
> returns to the same screen with the same error message - still can't
> find my network card.

> $ cardctl ident
>
> Socket 0:
>   product info: "3Com", "Megahertz 3CCFEM556", "LAN + 56k Modem", ""
>   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0556
>   function: 0 (multifunction)
> Socket 1:
>   product info: "KME    ", "SCSI-CARD-001", "1"
>   manfid: 0x0032, 0x2604

I have 2 3Com pcmcia cards in 2 Thinkpads, not the same number as
yours.  One has a modem, the other not.

Both are 3Com 3CCFE575CT Tornado and use the 3c589_cs module and work
great.

If you ever find a way to get the modem working, I'd like to hear how.
:-)

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Wayne