Re: Laptop-Auswahl - Sony?

Hej Evgeni,

Evgeni Golov wrote:
> Hio Boris,
>
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:24:07 +0200 Boris Andratzek wrote:
>

>>ich bin neu auf der Liste, habe mich gerade eingetragen, um evtl. von
>>Euren Erfahrungen teilhaben zu können!
>

> even I can understand your message, other may be not, because this is a
> english spoken mailing-list. So please respect that ;-)
> Now to your questions.

Ooops, did not realize that! Thanks for answering anyway!!

I'm going to translate the whole thing....

>>I'm going to buy a new Laptops in close future. These are the features I search for:
>>
>>- CoreDuo-Technologie
>

> good choice, mine works very well
>

>>- 17" screen
>

> why such a big LCD? my 15.4" does a great work at 1680x1050

I am used to! My last Laptop was a Toshiba Satellite S1900 (304) with
17" screen (4:3) 1280x1024. I found that to be very usable!

>>- WLAN
>

> ok
>

>>- Bluetooth
>

> mh. would suck your battery empty...
>

>>- HD >= 120 GB
>

> have 100Gb, it's enough =)

Well, yes, enough.... Let me be honest: I like to use the maschine as
entertainment as well besides being a working horse. Collect some movies
and some MP3s and you'll be happy with a huge disk!

>>- DVD+-RW DoubleLayer
>

> yepp.
>

>>- if possible MultiMedia-Features like camera, DVB-T-tuner, HDMI-Output....
>

> as written for Bluetooth - if these features are built in, they will
> use a lot of power, even if you do not use them.

Yes, I know, but as mentioned above, I like to have som fun with the
laptop as well!
I logged my typical using in the past and realized I do not use the
computer with battery...

>>I found a Sony VGN AR11M during my research, wich of course comes with Windows
>>XP Media Center Edition. Now I'd like to know, if there are any experiences
>> with that maschine or Sony as trademark in common concerning the
>>use with Debian-Linux. I have difficulties using the Forum on the Sony page:
>>I found a thread 'AR11M and Linux', but cannot read it because I don't have any Sony-hardware
>>registered.... :-(
>

> I have a IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad Z61m - would preffer this one over the
> Sony, even it does not have neither bluetooth, nor dvb-t, nor a cam.
>

>>I even don't find any details about the used cipsets except:
>>
>>WLAN Chip Intel 3945ABG - no Problem with Linux
>

> Should work, when you are able to compile from source, because there is
> still no driver for this one in Debian, but my ThinkPad has this one
> too and it works.
>

>>NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 - also no problem
>

> should work well, but you have a bigger display with a lower
> resolution :P
>

>>But what about Modem, LAN, Cardreader, Camera, DVB-T-Tuner,
>>S-Video, HDMI, Bluetooth???
>

> Modem - do you really need it? these are mostly a part of the soundcard
> on recent laptops. May work, maybe not.

I find it a good idea to have EVERY possibility to connect. Also I have
a ISDN-PCMCIA-Card....

> LAN - should work out-of-the-box, no matter which chip is in
> CardReader - may be bitchy as hell, mine is.
> Cam - dunno
> DVB-T - no idea what a chip is in, but since kernel 2.6.15 there are
> many chips supported, so you may have luck
>
> You do not ask for suspend-to-{ram|disk} - do you do not need them?

no, not important.
see above!

> neverless, I would never by a computer (or even a laptop) without the
> info on ALL hardware is used - it can end with a great pain in your ass.

That's why I wrote in here!!

> At least, I think you already know http://tuxmobil.org, look at this if
> not, but your particular model isn't listed there.

I saw that. Maybe it's too new....

> kind regards

Thank you for your thoughts! I would have been surprised, if there
wasn't a known name from debain-user-german on this list :-)

Boris