Re: Proper use of pinning? (apt-pinning considered harmful)

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 10:45, Clinton V. Weiss wrote:
> I'm setting up a machine which I would like to keep mostly stable
> (sarge) packages. However, some packages such as Firefox or GAIM, I'd
> like to run the newer versions. Reading up on the man pages and the
> Debian manual has gotten me this far:

Differences in libc (which most packages depend on) between stable and the
newer distributions make this impossible.  Don't use apt-pinning, apt-pinning
considered harmful unless you understand exactly how you're torquing your
entire system by doing so.  Use backports.org or apt-get.org to find a
backport for what you want instead.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber