Re: T42 no sound flash animations

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, rancid pickle wrote:

Hello...

Did a fresh install of etch/testing on an IBM T42. I cant hear google videos  or my local tv stations flash animations. They play fine but no sound.
If I disable sounds using gnome's sound applet, all is fine - I can hear the flash animations.
I googled this extensively, but it seems all have to do with KDE. I know this must have happened to a bunch of folks but for the life of me I cant figure it out.

alsaconf correctly determines the card as intel 8x0 type 82801DB.

When I had Ubuntu Dapper installed this never happened, but with sarge, etch and sid, it happens always.

You need to do two things:

1) enable software mixing (dmix) in your alsa config file
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php#softmix

2) configure your non-alsa-dmix capable clients to use esd.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mozilla-browser

choose esddsp as the sound wrapper.

( esd is dmix capable, so native dmix capable apps and esd clients
  can coexist )