Re: Best practice to setup a guest account?

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 12:43 +0200, André Wendt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> lately, I came to realize that a guest account would be perfect for my
> laptop since friends use it at my place. Since Ubuntu's "Guest login
> specification" [1] is far from being implemented, I wondered what's the
> least painful way to set up a guest account under GNOME -- apart from the
> actual addition of a user?

Hi André,

The actual addition of a 'guest' user seems likely to be the best way,
really, but you might want to control what that guest account looked
like...

You could use pam_mkhomedir (included in the standard libpam-modules
package) to automatically create the account's directories on each
login. This will not remove them when the user logs out, but you could
do a cron job that removed them periodically or something like that.

There is also a pam_mount (in the libpam-mount package) which would
potentially let you mount a homedir using something like unionfs with a
shmfs over a standard guest home directory that would be read-only.
This would be unmounted on logout, so would be cleaned up at that time.
You could also provide a more permanent directory for your guests to
save things that they wanted a bit of persistence for.

Hope this is some help,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
       The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde