Audio CD problems..

I am experiencing a strange problem accessing audio CD's on Fujitsu
P7120 running Etch using the internal CD/DVD drive. Kernel is 2.6.15.

I just tried playing an audio CD, which I wasn't expecting to have
trouble with because I know my audio is working (I have been playing
WAV files using xmms and movies using totem from the HDD just fine,
and the CD seems ok as I can mount data CDs and DVDs with the CD/DVD drive.

However if I attempt to play an audio CD using KsCD, it displays the
track name and duration correctly and the counter counts up plausibly,
but no audio is produced, even with all faders fully up.

If I attempt to rip a track using kaudiocreator it performs its
freedb.com lookup successfully and displays the tracks, but the
rip failes. Using KDE or GNOME I get an error box stating:
	"The file or folder /Wav/Track 01.wav does not exist"
regardless of the encoder setting or default temp directory.

If I run it under fvwm, I see the same error box, and in the xterm
window see the messages:
	digbyt@fujitsu:~$ kaudiocreator
	kbuildsycoca running...
	Launched ok, pid = 7431
	Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
	        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
	                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
	        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
	                generic device: /dev/sg0
	                ioctl device: /dev/scd0

	Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
	Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
	        SG interface version 3.5.33; OK.

	CDROM model sensed sensed: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-832S 1.01
	kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header read failed, errno=104
	kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header has invalid size (-1)

I have tried an external USB CD/DVD, but KsCD produces the same result,
which seems to indicate that it isn't a drive specific problem.

One last clue, when I am attempting to rip a track, I see messages
such as the following in /var/log/messages:
    sg_write: data in/out 56/56 bytes for SCSI command 0x12--guessing data in;
       program kio_audiocd not setting count and/or reply_len properly
    sg_write: data in/out 26/26 bytes for SCSI command 0x5a--guessing data in;
       program kio_audiocd not setting count and/or reply_len properly
    sg_write: data in/out 12/12 bytes for SCSI command 0x43--guessing data in;
[...]

Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com