smartlink mode won't dial

I have a Thinkpad with smartlink modem.  It used to work find under my
2.4 kernel, but I've had trouble since upgrading to 2.6.  I built the
kernel with the alsa driver, and I installed sl-modem-daemon, from
sarge.

The modem is recognized, and using minicom I can send it AT commands
and it responds.  But the phone does line not seem to respond to it.
It won't take the phone off hook or dial.  I know it's not a hardware
or cable problem, because when I reboot in the old kernel, it works
fine.

The really strange thing is I got it to work the other day, by
reinstalling (maybe upgrading?) the sl-modem-daemon package.  I was
able to successfully send a fax.

I thought it was all fixed.  But the next time I tried it the phone
wouldn't respond any more, just as before.

Any suggestions?

-David