Re: Debian etch with 2.6 kernel on Inspiron 600m battery life

sven.debian-laptop@huster.me.uk wrote:

>* Prepaid <prepaid@gmail.com> [2006-04-21 13:42:25 -0400]:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>So I just recently installed Debian Etch with a 2.6 kernel on my Inspiron
>>600m. I got everything all working with X11 and wireless. But the issue that
>>I'm having it the battery life in Linux is about half that of what I was
>>getting in Windows. I have setup CPU thorottling to 50% through KDE but I
>>still get about half the battery life that I was getting in Windows..
>>

>Have a look at 'cpufreqd' for dynamic scaling/throttling of the CPU
>Also 'laptop-mode-tools' might be something for you although I've not really
>looking into it
>
>Sven

powernowd is much better at throttling CPU's (not just AMD's, but
Intel's too) the cpufred. Laptop-mode-tools can also help extend battery
life by spinning down the HDD. You might want to look into acpid or
powersaved for general power management.

The major difference that windows has over linux for power management is
ajusting the power output to the LCD screen. I have yet to find any app
that accomplishes just that.

Stefan