Re: After upgrading kernel, usb webcam is default sound device

mandag 17 april 2006 16:12 skrev Richard Mittendorfer:
> > /etc/modules is the first to get loaded right?
>
> I'm not sure about that. But it would be logical to make it work that
> way. It's about putting parameters in there for loading the modules if
> you can't find the better place to advise udev/hotplug to use them. So
> putting "snd_intel8x0 index=0 .." there may well do the trick.

you mean put snd-intel8x0 index=0 into /etc/modules?

I didn't know that any arguments was possible in this file, so that is why I
sound so confused maybe.

Let me say right now, I just solved the arts sound problem as well. I simply
reset the arts settings to the standard values and rebooted artsd. I have
system sounds up now. This means everything works ok for me now. If I need
the usb sound device, once in a while, I can modprobe it manually.

> Using index options in /etc/modprobe.d/sound would be the better
> solution, as udevd/hotplugd read these files AFAIK.

I don't have this file /etc/modprobe.d/sound. Should I create it myself? I
don't like creating new configuration files in /etc.. What is the format of
this file?

Here is a directory listing of /etc/modprobe.d

aliases              arch          display_class           nvidia-kernel-nkc
alsa-base            arch-aliases  libsane                 pnp-hotplug
alsa-base-blacklist  blacklist     linux-sound-base_noOSS

Anyway, since I have it up and running now, I probably don't want to tinker
with it any futher.

> > Anyway putting the other modules in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d _almost_
> > did the  trick. I really don't need the other two modules under normal
> > circumstances.
>
> Which two? Modem and Cam? ...

Yes.

> > The SI7012 sound card is not marked as default though, and I suspect
>
> ...then this one should be default. Which one gets the first device
> then?

When I blacklist the the modem and cam, the SI7012 becomes card 0, but it is
not marked as default. I don't know if that's an error or because it is the
only one, and therefore implicitly the default card. And in any case, it now
works in this configuration.

> > this is  why, arts still can't seem to find it (so no jingle when KDE
> > loads).  Kaffeine/xine works fine though, which is the main thing.
>
> Kaffeine/xine may use /dev/dsp or bypass artsd? If a sound daemon is
> running it would be better to use it. If the soundcard's alsa is able to

NOOO!! :) I would never use artsd for anything other than system sounds.. It
is insanely laggy and generally unstable. I gave up trying to use arts a long
time ago.

Arts bad. Direct to alsa good.

Thanks for all the help.

Anders

--
 - Debian GNU/Linux - KDE 3.5.1 - KMail 1.9.1 -