Re: After upgrading kernel, usb webcam is default sound device

Also sprach Anders Ellenshøj Andersen <andersa@ellenshoej.dk> (Mon, 17
Apr 2006 13:57:41 +0200):
[...]
> > The above file "schould" do it, if not, try to put these parameters

s/schould/should

> > into /etc/modules or edit the configuration file of the utility that
> > loads the modules on your machine.
>
> Hm.. I don't really understand this. What parameters are you refering
> to? I  believe that udev/hotplug is responsible for loading the
> module.

modinfo snd_intel8x0 will show a parameter "index" which you can use to
give a card a specific number assigned to it. Useful if you have more
devices and want them get a fixed number. The problem you are facing is
likely that your cam module gets loaded before the soundcard is
identified.

So, my workaround would be to blacklist the camera module for the early
hardware initialization (udev/hotplug - see /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist or
/etc/hotplug/blacklist[.d] or something like that and put the name of
the camera module in there) and load it later via /etc/modules or by
hand when needed (it may also shorten batterylifetime if activated but
unused). This will bring intels' soundcard into first place again.

I think I wrote /etc/modutils/sound. Err. It more likely is
/etc/modprobe.d/sound?

There should be another solution with using the index parameter, but I'm
not sure how to do this here. I usually don't use tools like hotplug or
udev.

> > BTW: simply plugging in the USB device
> > after bootup will likely also do it.
>
> Can't. It's build into the laptop. It sits on top of the lcd screen.

see.

> Anders

sl ritch