faulty RAM but memtest ok on MSI S270 Turion?

Dear All,

On my MSI S270 turion laptop running Debian/Sid/AMD64 -with ATI480
chipset, shared memory graphics- I am experimenting very frequent crashes
or panics - see http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/msi_s270_linux.html

These crashes are not strictly reproductivble (which make me thinks of
a hardware problem). Typically, a kernel panic (ie not syncing killing
interrupt handler) or a process which crashes or produces faulty data. For
exemple, some compilations fail, with a single bit inverted (giving for
example an invalid opcode generated by cc1 for as). This happens even
when the temperature (as given by acpi -V) is not very high, eg 45° C CPU.

But memtest86 or memtest+ (v1.65) runs without failure for twenty hours.

I am considering changing the RAM, hence I am asking here: can memory
fail without being detected by memtest+? Please give here any experience
on that issue...

Thanks, and happy Easter

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net