Re: Gnome sound system.

--- "S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)" <smibrahim@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't know the solution, but i am also facing this
> problem. :(
>
> On 4/8/06, Surachai Locharoen
> <surachai@prachakij.com> wrote:
> >
> > I use gnome debian version 2.12. When I enable
> sound in gnome control
> > panel (enable sound for user action such button
> click or system alert),
> > The music player program seem to be unable to play
> sound. It show error
> > message that "the sound device is busy"
> >
> > How could I enable sound system in
> > gnome sound and use other music player together?
> >
> > Kan
> >

> --
> S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)
> Home page: http://lavluda.tripod.com
> Blog: http://lavluda.blogspot.com
> Yahoo!! ID: lavluda MSN ID: lavluda Skype : lavluda

OK let's get some more details. We see this problem
fairly commonly and we usually are able to get it
sorted out. Actually, that's an idea, it might be an
idea to google for this as the Debian list archives
contain a lot of records of people coming to this list
to get help with various flavours of this problem --
they usually go away happy in the end.

Anyway, can you let us know:

1. Make and model of sound card -- be as specific as
posisble, down to chipset if possible
2. Previous experience with sound card -- eg "works
fine under Windows", "used to work under Gnome before
I upgraded", "got a friend who's using it fine and we
can't work out what's different", "it's brand new and
I've never seen it work yet" -- whatever applies.
3. Are you using a stock kernel or did you build your
own? If you built your own, did you use Debian
packaged sources or get a kernel source tree from
kernel.org? (Fear no flaming, that's what I always
do!)
4. If you know (ie you built your own kernel), what
drivers are you using for sound?

>From the way you phrase the question it sounds to me
like you already have the soundcard working under some
circumstances under Debian -- would that be accurate,
and if so, what exactly have you got working?

Right off the bat I think we're going to find out this
is a permissioning issue with your /dev/dsp device or
one of your other sound-related devices -- but let's
take it one step at a time and see if we can sort it
out.

Mark