Re: Display troubles with Mobility Radeon 7500

On Wed, April 5, 2006 5:20 am, Francois MICHONNEAU wrote:
> I am a very new user of Linux (I set up it this week-end) and I am
> struggling to configure the display of my laptop. Actually, the
> native resolution of my screen is 1400x1050, but when I choose it in
> "resizing and rotation of the screen" (in KDE 3.3) a lot of strange
> things occurs (the cursor of my mouse is shadowed by a black square,
> the desktop is continuous -i.e. the right edge of the windows appears
> on the left edge of the desktop-, there is a black line on the bottom
> of the desktop, etc...). My video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon
> 7500, so in "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" I chose the ati
> driver. However, I read that the radeon driver is often more
> appropriate but it does not appear in the list of the available
> drivers. Could someone indicate me what to do or to read in order to
> find the way to solve my problem?

The X config file is just a text file (/etc/X11/XF86Config).  Open it
in your favourite text editor and change the video driver from "ati"
to "radeon".  As simple as that.

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca