Re: Order of network interfaces (WLAN and ethernet)

Sven Huster wrote:
* Philipp Frauenfelder <philipp@frauenfelder-kuerner.ch> [2006-03-31 22:29:41 +0200]:

Hi

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E 4010D with a wlan and
ethernet adapter (the one where you have to plug in a cable
before being online). Most stuff works fine, also both network
interfaces. However, sometimes my wlan is eth0 (and ethernet is
eth1) sometimes the ethernet is eth0 (and wlan is eth1).

How can I fix the assigning of the network interface to the
hardware? I guess what plays a role here is the sequence in
which the drivers are loaded (ipw2200 for the wlan and 8139too
for the ethernet). As far as I can tell from the boot messages,
udev loads the modules.

I got this configured in my /etc/udev/local.rules :

BUS=="pci", KERNEL=="eth[0-9]", SYSFS{address}=="00:0c:f1:98:2e:ac" \
        NAME="wifi0"

BUS=="pci", KERNEL=="eth[0-9]", SYSFS{address}=="00:0f:1f:34:01:f4", \
        NAME="lan0"

Names my ethernet interface lan0 and the wireless wifi0 based on their MAC
addresses

Cheers
Sven

i've had this problem, my solution was
#apt-get install ifrename

After i've created /etc/iftab where you can bind an ifname with a mac address, so this way you've assigned a ifname to a hardware.

the rule is simple

eth0   mac          :your:interface:mac:address:

ifdown "all active interfaces"
then
#ifrename
#/etc/init.d/networking restart