Dynamically mount shares

Hi!

At home, I have a server with some files I'd like to access. The server
contains both files in 'shared' directories (which means others can
access them too) and in 'private' directories (for my eyes only). I'm
looking for the best way to mount these directories.

First of all, I cannot use NFS (except maybe for NFSv4), because the
user/group IDs on my laptop do not match those on my server. Instead, I
think I'll use cifs.

The problem is how to setup the mounting in the best way. I cannot just
mount the shares, as they might not be available all the time (I use the
laptop elsewhere as well). Likewise, pam_mount doesn't work, because I
might login at one place, suspend and then resume at home, in which case
I wouldn't have access to the shares. So I guess I need some automounter
for this to work.

Now, I'm having trouble understanding how to set this up. I need to use
some credentials to mount the shares, which I can store in my home
directory. The problem is that in that case, it only works for one
account (mine) on the laptop. Or is there some way to have the
automounter look at who's trying to access the directory, and use
his/her credentials?

I'm up for any other way that might work as well. I tried NFSv4 but I
couldn't find useful documentation, and it requires me to set up quite
some things (including Kerberos).

Thanks for any pointers!

Koen