Re: Re: "receive_packet failed on wlan0: Network is down", "No DHCPOFFERS received."

Did you set the ESSID with iwconfig?

Hi, Florian! Yes, I did. I typed iwconfig wlan0 essid "Juanja". Doesn't get an ip.

The output of "iwlist wlan0 scan"
in your first message showed that your access point hides its ESSID.

Yes, it does. `Invalid' is the right word.

think this means that it will only accept connections from clients which
know the secret ESSID before they connect.

Yes, it seems so. I do `iwconfig wlan0 essid "Juanja" and then
`dhclient wlan0'. The subject message appears  :-(

Also, check the output of "iwconfig wlan0": Is the ESSID set correctly,
does it display the MAC address of the right access point?

debian:~# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0		IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4310"
		Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.484 Ghz  Access Point: Invalid
		Bit Rate=11 Mb/s  Tx-Power=19 dBm
		RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
		Encryption key:off
		Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
		Tx excessive retries:0  Invalidmisc:0  Missed beacon:0

If the above is all OK then it might be a problem with dhclient. There
are two DHCP client packages in Debian, "dhcp-client" and
"dhcp3-client". Make sure to try it with both of them.

I apt-get installed dhcp3-client. How do I invoke it?

--
Regards,
         Florian

Cheers and thanks for helping,